How to Make Wedding Rings
An essential skill for every jeweller to learn, how to make the perfect wedding ring
(If you already have an account with Jewellers Academy login first and then click the link above. This means your course gets added to your account once it launches).
Learn how to make gold wedding rings in this intermediate level course
Are you a jeweller looking to extend your skills to start working with gold? Or perhaps you'd like to offer wedding rings and commissions in your jewellery business? This course taught by goldsmith Barbara Yarde is for you!
You will learn how to make two different styles of wedding ring
- round wedding band
- wishbone shape to fit around an engagement ring
You will also learn different finishes for your gold including
- high polish finish
- matte/brushed finish
Included in the course is everything you need to know about working with gold if you haven't tried it before including:
- how to work with different types of gold - 9 carat, 14 carat, 18 carat
- advice on working with Yellow gold, White gold, Red/Rose gold
- how to size the rings and much more
Note that this course is designed for those with experience of working with silver.
All of these techniques take time and practice and in this in-depth video course we have lessons to guide you through the process which you can re-watch as many times as you like to perfect the skills and master the techniques.
This is an intermediate level class and learning to work with gold will really extend the types of design you can make.
What Will You Get?
- Lifetime access to comprehensive video lessons, guiding you through all the techniques, tips and tricks for working with gold
- Advice and guidance from an experienced jeweller on how to manage commissions and working with clients
- Downloadable course notes to work alongside the videos
- Access to our supportive community of jewellers and tutors to help you at every stage of the process
- Access to the videos 24/7 - you can stop, pause, rewind and replay as much as you like
- Excellent close-up shots to see what is happening in each step so you don't miss a thing
StartCourse Notes: How to Make a Wedding Ring with Barbara Yarde
StartLesson 1: Wedding Rings, Welcome, Samples & Types of Gold (5:25)
StartLesson 2: Measuring Cutting and Soldering the Band (13:21)
StartLesson 3: Shaping, Filing and Sanding the Band Ring (6:57)
StartLesson 4: Creating the Wishbone Ring (16:27)
StartLesson 5: Polishing the Rings - High-Shine and a Matt Finish (5:52)
StartLesson 6: Finished Samples & Troubleshooting Common Issues (6:28)
StartGuide to Hallmarking
StartMASTERCLASS - Adding Wedding Rings to your Jewellery Business
StartFeedback: How Was Your Course
This is an intermediate level course suitable for jewellers who have experience of working with sheet silver metal and are competent at soldering.
- Ring sizer - thinner and thicker gauge ring sizers when working with customers (see video)
- Digital calipers
- Bench peg
- Piercing saw and blade/s
- Wax to lubricate saw blade
- Flat file
- Half round file
- Half round needle file
- Jewellers torch
- Propane/butane torch (we used the GoSystem torch)
- 2 x Steel blocks
- Half round pliers
- Solder brick/bricks
- Jewellers charcoal block
- Liquid flux and paintbrush
- Ring mandrel
- Rawhide or nylon mallet
- Emery paper 240, 1000, 1200, 2000
- Emery stick
- Bowl for quenching
- Safety glasses
- Pendant motor e.g. Foredom, Dremel, rotary tool
- Flick wheel for pendant motor
- Polishing mop
- Luxor (orange)
We suggest you watch the course through before ordering any gold or solder as you will get in-depth advice on sizing and the gold that you should purchase.
We look forward to welcoming you on the course and seeing your new creations soon
Below, some beautiful pieces made using this course by the wonderful Emily Fletcher @emilylisbethjewellery
Left Cynthia Kurth, right Sabine Werner
Enrol today and get started making your own masterpieces...