Introduction to Claw Setting
Learn how to make a claw set pendant in this FREE mini-course
Join us for this FREE Introduction to Claw Setting mini-course to help you develop your stone setting skills.
If you love gemstones as much as we do then the claw/prong setting is a fantastic skill to master! This setting technique has lots of benefits including:
- works well for faceted and unfaceted cabochon gemstones
- ideal for setting irregular shaped cabochons
- allows more of the gemstone to be seen and also allows the light to shine through
If you would love to open up your jewellery design possibilities and learn a new technique then this is the perfect course for you. Our lovely tutor Stelios Karantonas will guide you through this cabochon pendant project, showing you how to create your setting from scratch. Perfect if you have a beautiful stone that you can't wait to use! And a great excuse for more gemstone shopping (if an excuse were ever needed!).
What Techniques are covered?
- How to create a seat for your individual cabochon stone
- How to solder on wires to create your claws/prongs
- How to shape the claws to hold the stone securely
- How to set the stone and finish the piece ready to wear
Once you've mastered this technique you'll be able to use it to work on cabochon stones large and small to create settings for pendants, earrings, necklaces and more.
Note: this intermediate-level project is suitable for those with some experience of working with silver and soldering.
If you are a beginner we suggest taking our Silver Jewellery Workshop and our Soldering Masterclass
If you would like to take both, you can purchase the course bundle. Alternatively, take a look at our Makers Membership. For £29 per month (cancel at any time with no minimum commitment) you get access to all of our individual jewellery making courses (excludes Diploma courses)
Stelios Karantonas is a Greek designer who lives and creates in London. He found his niche in jewellery manufacturing and design, receiving two scholarships and working as a freelance designer/maker in Thessaloniki and Athens, Greece.
Stelios created his own brand in London in 2014. All his pieces are hand-made in his Hatton Gardens workshop, where he constantly grows as a designer, working on a variety of gemstones, 9, 18 and 22 Karat Gold and 925 Sterling Silver.
Stelios is a passionate teacher who is extremely giving in sharing his vast knowledge of silver and goldsmithing with budding students.
Tools & Materials Needed:
- Soldering station
- Jewellers torch
- Third hand
- Pliers set - round nosed pliers, half round pliers, snipe/chain nosed pliers
- Side cutters/snips
- Bench peg
- Piercing saw and saw blade
- 600/800 grit emery paper
- Needle file
- Optional - pendant motor and 3M radial discs - yellow
- Silver round wire - 1.5mm and 1.2mm
- (length of wire required will depend on the size of your gemstone)
- Oval cabochon gemstone (Stelios used a faceted labradorite cabochon)
- Silver solder - hard and medium
To source your tools and materials, take a look at our list of worldwide jewellery suppliers https://www.jewellersacademy.com/jewellery-supplie...
This course includes:
- 2 Bite-sized video Lessons
- A complete set of downloadable course notes
- Tools and materials list
- Support in the Facebook group
Sign up below to get started making with us right away!
Join our community of jewellery makers and get excellent training and support for your learning. Sign up to a course today :-)