Stone setting is a wonderful technique for jewellers to learn that enables you to add colourful semi-precious or even precious gemstones to your metalwork.
Our experienced tutor Hayley Kruger, will guide you through how to make three key settings from start to finish:
1. Collet Setting: create your own bespoke setting for a stone and learn how to incorporate it into a ring/pendant and more.
2. Crown Setting: once you've made a collet setting you can adapt it to make a crown setting.
3. Channel Setting: learn how to make a basic channel setting with a line of beautiful gemstones
These techniques take time and practice to perfect and in this in-depth video course we have nine bite-sized videos to guide you through the process which you can re-watch as many times as you like to perfect the skills and master the techniques
If you love gemstones or want to add a new dimension to your work this is the perfect course to take your collections and skills to the next level.
What Will You Get?
- Lifetime access to comprehensive video lessons, guiding you through all the techniques, tips and tricks to perfecting your stone setting
- Downloadable course notes to work alongside the videos
- Access to our supportive community of jewellers and tutors to help you at every stage of the process
- Access to the videos 24/7 - you can stop, pause, rewind and replay as much as you like
- Excellent close-up shots to see what is happening in each step so you don't miss a thing
What Techniques are covered?
- Creating a collet to fit your stone exactly
- Creating a design around your stone setting and working that into a piece
- Setting the stones using basic stone setting hand tools
- Creating a crown setting
- Designing and making a channel setting
- Soldering for stone setting
- Troubleshooting common mistakes in stone setting
- Top tips for jewellers new to stone setting
- And much more!
Hayley Kruger is a South African raised, UK based designer. After completing a degree in Silversmithing, Jewellery and Allied Crafts, Hayley went on to design costume jewellery for many of the UK's High Street's most recognizable names such as Marks and Spencer, River Island, Morgan, Next and Lola Rose.
She is skilled in a vast range of jewellery making skills from traditional benchwork through to using leather, suede and mixed media. The inspiration behind her work stems from the vibrancy of the regions she has lived in and the strong personalities who have influenced her life.
Having always loved making things, whether they be craft, accessories or jewellery, alongside running her business, she regularly teaches at the London Jewellery School to help pass on some of her knowledge and passion for jewellery to others.
This course is suitable for jewellers who have some experience of making silver jewellery and of basic stone setting. if you are new to silversmithing we would recommend taking the 'Silver Jewellery Workshop' and ideally the 'Soldering Masterclass' first, in order to make the most of this course. And if you are new to stone setting we recommend taking the 'Stone Setting in Silver' course before this bundle.
We look forward to welcoming you on the course and seeing your new creations soon.
Purchase this course or get access to all of our individual making courses as part of Makers Membership. Learn more here