Yes, you really can make your own silver ring from home! In this fun and comprehensive course, designer jeweller Rosie Sanders will guide you through the whole process from start to finish to make your own wrap-over silver ring.
You start with small sheets of silver, which you then saw in to shape, heat with a small torch, texture and pattern before shaping into the perfect ring to fit any finger size. To finish you will learn all the basics of filing, sanding and polishing your piece to achieve a beautiful shiny silver ring at the end.
This class does require a few more tools and materials than the bead-based classes (see tools required below) but is completely achievable to do from home with Rosie's expert, step-by-step advice and support.
There is no soldering covered in this course as it is making a wrap-over ring, which makes it the perfect starting point for anyone new to jewellery making or ready to try working in silver for the first time.
What you can make
- Loading and using a jewelers saw
- Using a hand torch
- Annealing metal
- Texturing silver using hammers and metal punches
- Picking, sanding and filing the metal
- Shaping and sizing the ring
- And polishing with different finishes
Tools & Materials
- A benchpeg
- Jewelers/ piercing saw
- Saw blades
- Strips of silver sheet
- Parallel or flat-nosed pliers
- Rawhide mallet
- Half-round pliers
- Steel ring mandrel or triplet
- Hand file
- Emery paper
- Soldering block
- Hand torch & lighter fuel (gas)
- Slow cooker/ rice cooker or warm water
- Safety pickle
- Safety goggles/ apron to protect clothes and eyes
- Pyrex or heat-proof dish with water
- A fairly sturdy table to work from helps!
- Hammers: Jobbing Hammer, riveting hammer, repousse hammer
- Metal punches: letter punches or patterned punches
- Steel block
- Clamp (small or medium sized)
- Buff stick with additional emory paper
- Larger soldering block/ sheet
76 MINUTES - 6 LESSONS - UNLIMITED ACCESS - COURSE NOTES INCLUDED - WORLD RENOWNED TUTORS
Rosie Sanders is a thorough and enthusiastic tutor who is skilled at explaining metalwork techniques in detail.
Rosie is also a multi talented jewellery designer with her own trail blazing brand of neo-classically inspired luxury jewellery. From scroll medallions to neoclassical knuckledusters, each piece is skillfully hand crafted in London using precious metals, enamel and gemstones.
Rosie trained at the well known Sir John Cass School of Art Media and Design at London Metropolitan University and after winning a series of awards she undertook an 18-month residency in the faculty of jewellery and metal work.
Her hand forged designs have gained wide recognition and her stunning Renaissance Rebel collection is now stocked at the Wallace Collection Museum in London. In 2013 Rosie was one of 10 designers championed as 'talent of the future' by The British Jewellers Association and her work now attracts a celebrity following.
StartHow to use this course
StartLesson 1: Introduction, tools and materials (2:20)
StartCreating your own safety pickle solution
StartLesson 2: Sawing and annealing the metal (13:01)
StartHow to assemble your bench peg at home
StartLesson 3: Texturing using hammers & punches (24:23)
StartLesson 4: Filing and sanding (11:50)
StartLesson 5: Shaping and sizing the ring (11:41)
StartLesson 6: Finishing and Polishing (12:44)
StartFeedback: How was your course?
'The Make a Silver Ring course was lovely and so easy to understand! I now have a 'dreamy' new ring to show off and i love it. Everyone looking for a beginner course should give it a try, it's less difficult than it may seem,'
- Alejandra Quiroz
'Easy to follow and fantastic tutor'
- Malin Carlberg
Before you enrol on this course did you know that if you join Jewellers Academy membership you get access to ALL of our online jewellery making AND specialist jewellery business courses? Member benefits include
- All current online courses including the 8-week Jewellery Business Bootcamp PLUS all the courses planned for the year including intermediate silver jewellery, stone setting shaped cabochons, stone setting in wax and collet setting
- Monthly online masterclass
- Monthly live Q&A where you get your questions answered
- Exclusive Facebook community of like-minded jewellers
- Exclusive discounts including for the London Jewellery School, Cookson Gold and more
You can get all of this, INCLUDING this course, for £365 for annual membership or you can choose the monthly payment option of £39 per month
(For our US friends £39 is $50 US approx. £365 is $476 US approx. The exact cost in any currency other than GB pound depends on the exchange rate at the time of purchase. You will see the cost in your currency before you process the payment)
Just want this course? No problem! Click below to enroll on the course now and get instant access.