Learn how to create granulation in silver and gold
With this brand new course taught by expert jeweller, Stelios Karantonas, in this course you will learn:
- The secret to preparing your pieces for granulation
- How to create different sizes of granules in both silver and gold
- Soldering your granules using the solder in place method
- Work with gold and silver and mixed metals to create your own unique one of a kind designs
- How to add to your piece with a tube setting for a faceted stone
- How to set a cabochon stone in a pendant with a granulation halo
- Projects covered in this course include making a ring and a pendant - all the skills you need to start a new collection!
What Will You Get?
- Ongoing access to comprehensive video lessons, guiding you through all the techniques, tips and tricks
- Downloadable course notes to work alongside the videos
- Full list of kit and materials you need to create these gorgeous designs
- Access to our supportive community of jewellers and tutors to help you at every stage of the process
- Access to the videos 24/7 - you can stop, pause, rewind and replay as much as you like
- Excellent close-up shots to see what is happening in each step so you don't miss a thing
Stelios Karantonas is a Greek designer who lives and creates in London. He found his niche in jewellery manufacturing and design, receiving two scholarships and working as a freelance designer/maker in Thessaloniki and Athens, Greece.
Stelios created his own brand in London in 2014. All his pieces are hand-made in his Hatton Gardens workshop, where he constantly grows as a designer, working on a variety of gemstones, 9, 18 and 22 Karat Gold and 925 Sterling Silver.
Stelios is a passionate teacher who is extremely giving in sharing his vast knowledge of silver and goldsmithing with budding students.
StartLesson 1: Pendant Project: Preparing for Granulation (5:09)
StartLesson 2: Pendant Project: Creating the Granules (7:21)
StartLesson 3: Pendant Project: Soldering the Bail and Heating the Granules (17:02)
StartLesson 4: Pendant Project: Setting the Stone & Finishing (17:28)
StartLesson 5: Ring Project: Granulation on a Ring (19:15)
StartLesson 6: Ring Project: Setting the Stone (9:51)
StartFeedback: How Was Your Course
This course is suitable for jewellers who have experience of working with sheet silver metal and are competent at soldering and basic stone setting.
If you are new to working with silver but would like to give it a try take a look at our beginners course The Silver Jewellery Workshop, the Soldering Masterclass and Stone Setting in Silver first. You will need some experience of tube and cabochon stone setting to make these pieces.
We look forward to welcoming you on the course and seeing your new creations soon
Tools required for this course
Silver jewellery making equipment
Including tweezers, jewellers saw frame and blade
Set of files - flat file, needle files
Pliers set - including round nosed and cutters
Emery stick and papers - 800, 1000 and 1200
Soldering station including:
Professional butane micro torch
Large torch e.g. max flame pro butane hand torch
Charcoal block, binding wire
A revolving soldering stand (optional)
Soldering block and heatproof mat
Liquid flux and brush (Stelios uses flux soldering liquid with Klein on the label)
Tecnhoflux or other solder blocker (optional)
Jewellers pickle, plastic sieve
Small containers for your jump rings and granules
For polishing in between the granules a dremel or similar and 3M radial discs are recommended
Yellow 3M radial discs, 80 grit on the radial mandrel
Stone setting tools
Curved steel burnisher
Round burr (for creating divots in the charcoal block)
2.5mm round stone setting burr (for tube setting)
Dremel or similar
We recommend that you watch the course through before purchasing materials as the sizes you will need depend on your gemstone size