Move your metal clay skills up a level with this intermediate/ advanced level metal clay class taught by expert metal clay artist Julia Rai
What will I learn?
Two interesting stone setting techniques:
- A fancy bezel (to set natural stones)
- A prong setting (to set fire-in place stones) creating each prong out of metal clay by hand.
Plus ways to embellish your work with:
- Small components to add detail
- Different bail types to add interest
You will also learn:
- How to use jewellers investment to make a mould of your stone
- Design ideas on how to create interesting layered designs
- Plus lots of tips and tricks that Julia shares along the way
Who is this course for?
We do recommend that you are confident in working in metal clay and creating pendants and charms before taking this course and would advise completing Julia’s Beginners Metal Clay course as well as the Intermediate Metal Clay course in basic stone setting with Anna Campbell.
PLEASE NOTE YOU DO NEED ACCESS TO A KILN TO FIRE THESE PIECES - If you do not have a kiln you may want to look at local kiln-firing-services near you. Or consider in investing in one - they are amazing!
Julia Rai is an award winning jeweler and one of the most experienced and qualified metal clay teachers in the UK. She has a Diploma in Art and Design and holds a range of metal clay qualifications as well as an adult education teaching qualification. Her work has been featured in numerous publications and exhibitions worldwide.
She has achieved the Metal Clay Masters Registry credential at Level IV and was the first person in the world to attain this level.
When not making, Julia runs the Metal Clay Academy, an online resource for everyone interested in metal clay and is a regular contributor to a number of UK and International jewellery making magazines. She is also co-director of the Cornwall School of Art, Craft and Jewellery and teaches metal clay related subjects all over the UK. Her teaching style is relaxed and supportive and she loves to introduce beginners to this incredible material.
What is included in the course?
- Lifetime access to the course content to come back to anytime you like - watch on your computer, phone or ipad anytime 24/7
- This course contains 11 bite-sized video modules
- Comprehensive downloadable course notes (PDF)
- A full list of all tools and materials needed (if you work in metal clay you will have most of these already)
- Support via email or through our community of jewellers in the Jewellers Academy Facebook Group
StartCourse Notes: Fancy Bezels, Prongs & Bails with Julia Rai
Start1. Intro: Fancy Bezels, Prongs & Bails (4:41)
Start2. Let's Take a Look At The Samples (8:53)
Start3. Designing Your Piece (4:07)
Start4. Fancy Bezel Project: Preparing the Backplate (7:29)
Start5. Fancy Bezel Project: Create Your Bezel (11:56)
Start6, Fancy Bezel Project: Investment Mould (6:22)
Start7. Fancy Bezel Project: Attaching The Backplate (8:48)
Start8. Fancy Bezel Project: Setting The Stone (5:41)
Start9. Prong Setting: Making The Piece (10:53)
Start10. Prong Setting: Creating The Setting & Setting The Stone (24:43)
Start11. Creating Bails & Finishing Touches (5:34)
StartCool Tools link - natural gemstones firing guide
Tools and materials
We recommend you watch through the whole course before purchasing any additional tools and materials to ensure you get what you need for the project you have in mind.
Silver clay toolkit
Brass nesting tubes
Jewellers saw with no.4 blade